Thursday, August 5, 2010

H-Mart and Kimchi



















Imagine our delight when we came across H-Mart, a chain of Korean grocery stores. In fact we were so delighted that it served as part of the impetus for starting our weekly forays into international cuisine. We managed to pick up some really interesting stuff including Korean chili paste, soybean paste, powdered beef broth and most importantly kimchi! Because everything was so reasonably priced, it was hard to resist picking up a few kitchen essentials as well. We were on the look out for a rolling pin and pestle and mortar and came across some we just couldn't leave behind. 

Luckily for us H-Mart isn't strictly Korean and stocks loads of Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese and even Mexican ingredients. With the store only a few blocks away, we're sure to become regulars there in no time!

















































Kimchi is the quintessential Korean dish and as such, it would be sacrilege to miss out on it this week. For those who like me have never had kimchi, it consists of spiced Napa cabbage seasoned with fish sauce and fermented for 3 days. As a girl who can eat her way through a pig from snout to tail, my first taste still required a bit of courage. However I'm glad I finally mustered up the cajones to step up to the plate and try a bite. I was pleasantly surprised. My better half was miles ahead of me as always and dove in as soon as the lid was taken off. Dave loved kimchi from the first bite and I'm sure it'll be a prominent feature in posts in the very near future. I can't wait! 

1 comment:

Contributors

Followers